How to Find the Perfect Retail Director?
Hiring Goals, Role Description, and Key Metrics for the PositionRetail directors are experienced professionals with responsibilities for key areas of a retail business. The retail security director position covers the physical security of merchandise, infrastructure, premises, people, and equipment, in addition to data and information security. The HR and talent director needs to ensure on-time staffing, staffing costs management, training, grievance management, and performance management. A retail operations director needs to supervise every aspect of operations, from budgeting and office management to inventory and order management. Whether you are considering retail director recruitment for operations management, retail security director recruitment, or retail HR and talent director recruitment, the first step is to identify the various key roles that will be played by the future hire. Include these in your best-match candidate identification criteria.
- Technical Skills – products, service management, and operations management
- Technology Skills – software and technology-based operations monitoring, intelligence, reporting, and analytics
- Qualifications – academic background, the need for specialized certifications
- Experience – domain-specific, skills-specific, track record, and achievements
- Knowledge – of your industry, markets, and customer segments
- Key KPIs, KRAs, Metrics – what is expected from the future hire and how performance will be judged in terms of Key Performance Indicators, Key Responsibility Areas, and performance metrics
Talent Sourcing through the Right ChannelsThe right fit talent cannot always be found among active job seekers. Based on the type of candidate your retail company is targeting for a director-level position, the right talent sourcing channels need to be decided.
- Referral Networks – It is worthwhile using a referral network if it helps you attract great talent at competitor firms.
- Job Posting on Employment Networks – General employment platforms are not a highly reliable source.
- Recruitment Agency – Retail headhunter services are ideal for retail director recruitment assistance. Director-level candidates usually respond to talent headhunters and reputed recruitment agencies.
AssessmentsIs your retail business in locations with high staff turnover and market competitiveness? Is your business based in tourist locations with seasonal peaks and lows in sales and customer orders? You would need to find directors who can handle the stress, strategically overcome the challenges, and find ways to optimize cost savings, revenue generation, and retail operations management. Assessments are a highly useful tool for finding the best-match traits, skills, knowledge, and aptitude.
- Situational Judgment – assessments that provide insights into abilities to handle the various tricky scenarios that arise when performing duties.
- Industry Knowledge – assessments that provide insights into candidates’ knowledge of the industry and markets
- Behavioral Traits – assessments that provide information about candidates’ psychological and behavioral traits.